Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Love is Lost...

I've lost my love... my iPhone is dead. That's right dead. I'm not the first to post about their beloved iPhone coming to it's premature end by kissing asphalt.


But it's not all that bad. I've been falling out of love with my old 3G for a while now. I have to say that Apple deciding to support the 3G with iOS4.0 was a huge mistake. The OS was unresponsive, slow, bulky and offered very few reasons to upgrade for the 3G audience and resulted in a crowd of my colleagues and friends complaining of how their 'old' (1,2 year old) phones were crap. The performance was so bad that answering a phone call would take 2-3 rings for 'answer' to be acknowledged. To make it worse the speaker was going and I could only use it with a headset or in speakerphone mode.

But my iPhone was a beloved device. The iPhone changed the Smart Phone landscape in Canada (and I believe North America) popularizing the use of data and creating a change of lifestyle of information when you want it. Not just email like the RIM BlackBerry did, but the good stuff - the web. That intoxicating content streamed everywhere and anywhere you wanted. Who needs to choose a restaurant - pick a location, we'll read reviews when we get there and decide. But will my lifestyle be re-enabled with another iPhone 4? Should I?

This brings me to why I don't want the iPhone 4. Yup I said it. I love the iPhone, but I don't want the iPhone 4. Yeah it's nice looking, has a great screen and is very quick and slick. Yeah it's another bigger better sexier iPhone. But I'm a software engineer. I create software for a living and creating software for the iPhone, to me at least, seems like trying to print a book with an old mechanical press - it can produce beautiful work, but damn it's a pain in the ass to get there. Having built applications on Google's Android or the upcoming Windows Phone 7 - those two get my bet - I can quickly create a personal application to facilitate anything I want to create.

The only questions left is: Can I wait until MS comes to market? I'd love to. The metro OS is sexy, the collaborative Office tools are compelling. But I might just need to settle with an Android phone for now. Oh the choices - let the journey of choice begin, but sorry Apple - you are not included on my wishlist.

3 comments:

  1. I'll play the devil's advocate ...

    There're probbly a gazillion apps out there for the Android. To be singled for recognition, any single app would have to be very exceptional indeed. On the other hand, when an app is posted on the iStore, it's already been singled out (from what i hear) in terms of quality, and UI.


    This may be moot, but how does ease of development ( Open Source API for the Android ) compare against ease of marketing ( over the iStore )?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jooooiiiin uuuusssss.

    Ok, enough of that. I haven't heard much about Windows Phone 7, but I agree with you about the difference between developing for android vs. iPhone. Apple has set the barrier for entry so high that even getting started with dev is a huge investment (e.g. I'd need to buy a mac).

    Sad to hear that your phone is dead, but I'll be interested to hear how you like android after being an iPhone user for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to give you an idea of an application that we built at Macadamian that we gave 0 marketing to. 30 days after release - nearly 5,000 downloads of the Infant Growth Tracker application.

    So.... and if you see MS these days WP7 is getting a massive push across the board - problem is their SDK is still weak.

    ReplyDelete